Best Trail Running Shoes: Hit the Mountain with no Fear
Markets are flooded with several types of men’s trail running shoes, leaving you in utter confusion which one to buy. A trail running shoe doesn’t only protect your feet from sharp rocks, it also provides you the necessary comfort and support while running on uneven terrains. Based on the trail-specific technology, here I am presenting the top three trail running shoes along with their features.
Saucony Peregrine 2
Source: I Run Far
I must admit that Saucony Peregrine 2 is a great update from the original Peregrine with improved traction and overall performance.
- Saucony Peregrine 2 is one of the best minimalist trail shoes that is lightweight, supportive and can handle any sort of surfaces.
- It has lightweight, breathable upper and flexible sole that enables you to run comfortably on any kind of trail conditions.
- Saucony Peregrine 2 has 4 mm off-set or gap between the heel and the toe which gives the runner a sense of barefoot running or low-to-the ground natural feeling.
- The midsole on the Peregrine 2 offer more protection than many other minimalistic trail shoes.
- The upper is stiffer and incorporates lighter plastic mesh. It is much more supportive than the similar Saucony Kinvara which also has a 4mm off-set.
- The multi-directional lugs underfoot of Saucony Peregrine 2 provide impressive traction both downhill and uphill. Saucony Peregrine 2 is a good choice for both technical trail outings and roads.
Asics Gel Fuji Racer
If you love to run fast like me, Asics Gel Fuji Racer is the perfect choice for you. The Fuji Racer is Asics first trail shoe weighing at just 8.7 ounces. With its immense agility, foot-wrapping feet and cool design, Gel Fuji Racer gives you a close to the ground feeling always.
- The outsole of the shoe provides good grip and support for quick direction changes.
- The traditional lacing system of GEL-Fuji Racer works well for everybody, particularly for narrow feet. The lacing provides good adjustability and creates a secure fit for your feet.
- The Fuji Racer is one of the lightest racing trail shoes weighing less than 9 ounce.
- The upper has minimal but adequate padding or cushioning. Offering enough space for toe room the shoe provides good fit in the heel.
- Fuji Racer offers quite a good space through the mid-foot for a secure fit, which is very helpful on technical trails. The highly breathable mesh upper sheds water quickly.
- The GEL-Fuji Racer offers some arch support and moderate pronation control while walking or running.
Asics High Abrasion Rubber (AHAR) is featured throughout the full length of GEL-Fuji Racer. The simple yet effective lug design on outsole adds additional flexibility and grip on all sorts of surfaces.
When you run with the GEL-Fuji Racer, you feel that the shoe is an extension of your body. It is a fast, light, and streamlined racing shoe.
Adidas Vigor Trail 2
With considerable cushioning, soft material Adidas Vigor Trail 2 is the most comfy shoe in which I have stepped into so far.
It's a sturdy, well-designed shoe with robust lugs that is perfect for all types of grounds, be it rocky hills or smooth fields.
- The trail shoe has a TRAXION™ outsole to provide highest grip in all directions.
- Adidas Vigor Trail 2 features synthetic overlays for durability and immense support
- The shoe features breathable Air mesh upper to keep you cool and comfortable always.
- Adidas Vigor Trail 2 gives you a great value for the money spent.
Compared to other sleeker racing trail shoes, Vigor Trail 2 seems to be overbuilt and heavy but it is a versatile shoe that can tackle challenging trails even.
Don’t let the trail trip you up; just pick a good trail running shoe from this list and hit the mountains.